Monday, February 28, 2011

Happiness is......

What makes you happy?


Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.

~ Margaret Young ~


Most of you might think I'm nuts to love ranching so much. The job day to day is never the same. Sometimes the sorrow weighs so heavy you don't think you can go on, but the simple joys that happen make all the dirt, grime, physical labor and sorrow over fighting with an animal for their life keep you moving forward.

I've always said to myself and family, "Being on a farm would make my life complete." Hmmmm....two major crisis in our marriage and several minor ones made me realize happiness to me would come from within me first. And trust me those major ones would have caused most marriages to break up. Ours didn't. It didn't matter if it was something I wanted, had and didn't want or just a dream, none of those things would make me a happy person. I found I was responsible for my happiness, no one or not a single thing could make me happy. I worked happiness in reverse. When both of us became happy people inside of ourselves, our marriage and the ranch came to be. Now I live my dream, not my happiness. Now my husband lives his dream, not his happiness.

Today's simple joy at the ranch. Miss FJL Prissy is just over 60 days bred! She'll be on the trailer for the Houston Livestock Show and Star of Texas Livestock Show.

No comments: