Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Family Memories Preservation - Scrapbooking


I love my family. I love the heritage of my family. Some of our family tree has been completed some has not. One line of my side of the family extends back to John and Priscilla Alden who came to America aboard the Mayflower. The Family Database is held by the Alden Kindred.

Alden Kindred

I've yet to qualify my genealogical line with the Alden Kindred. There are five generations of birth certificates I have to get copies of in order to place us in the Alden database. I really need to start on it. So far the Alden Kindred has identified 54,191 descendants and spouses. Several years ago I read on the website that the organization estimate approximately as many as one million descendants could exist. With the population in our country of approximately 300 million that means I'm potentially related to one in every three hundred people. In fact I am a distant cousin to my sister-in-law. We descend from John and Priscilla through two different children.

On my husband's side of the family we are descended to Leven Watkins who was a prominent land owner in Brunswick County, North Carolina at the turn of the 19th century. He spent part of his life serving in the North Carolina Legislature.

I've only found Scrapbooking over the last year and I'm addicted to it. I love the stories one can tell on a page. It's so much better then looking through a photo album. A picture doesn't tell the story unless you have someone who knows the story behind the picture. I wish I could spend more time scrapping. I get 5-6 hours a week into it. I could spend all day.

Above is a page I did on my son, James. James is a sophomore at Brazosport College. He is currently working on his IT Certificate and plans to transfer to either my Alma Mater, Sam Houston State Univ. or University of Houston. I need no journaling to tell a story on this page. At the bottom of the page you'll find a simple rub-on which says friend. James is a very good friend to both animals and his human friends. He is an extremely loyal friend. I'm truly blessed as a mother to have a fine upstanding son.

If you have not found the world of Scrapbooking, then your really need to give it a try.

Kim

No comments: